Creating energy for your business
I was a decent track athlete and I hurdled in both high school and college. I remember the first time that I attempted hurdling – I was scared to death. My coach – Box James told me to “plant” my leg to create enough force to power me over the hurdles. Once I grabbed the concept sprinting over them was nothing. I learned then that force creates energy and energy – power.
Bringing this forward I conduct an immense amount of coaching around the world. And there is a difference in those I assist. The reason – some burn energy and some well not so much. Take Phillip for instance. Phillip is the proprietor of a medium firm with 73 employees. They produce much and profits okay, but they can be better why because Phillip has stopped working the business, he has become complacent. He no longer is using energy.
There is a fundamental difference between successful people and those that want to be. Those that are successful continually work and burn energy all day long in order to achieve the levels of success they desire – those that don’t procrastinate.
To increase energy in your business success requires you to:
- Network aggressively. Those that are visible are known in their communities constantly meeting to increase their network. Success stems from the summation of those individuals in your network. Yes it has to do with no only the law of attraction but whom you are attracting.
- Good people are always getting referrals. Referrals are the backbone for any professional. Consumers today invest in those they know and trust. Advertising does not matter – your word and intellectual property do. How many cards and references are in your wallet?
- There is a new term known as thought leadership. Those with large communities are seen as thought leaders and many want to be around them. Those that are successful are well respected.
- Success is not about procrastination. Successful people do not think about the next moment they are deeply immersed in it. I am reminded of the quote from Gordon Gekko in the original Wall Street movie to Bud Fox, “This is your wake up call, pal. Go to work.” Success is already at work. When you have to think about it then success with not find you.
- Energetic people create mastermind and learning networks. Donald Trump the famous real estate mogul used his dad as a mentor. A quotation from his book reads, “When I worked with him in his office, it was definitely more formal. He told me to “know everything you can about what you’re doing”. He was extremely knowledgeable and could even help out the carpenters.” Learn from others and they will teach you more then you can ever read from any book. Others experiences will immeasurably help you.
- Finally those with energy use the moniker “Get ‘ er done.”
Whether you are in sales, own your own firm or professional practice you need energy to get through those hurdles. To quote again from Gekko, “You gonna tell me the difference between this guy and that guy is luck?” No it is not luck it is about energy, force and power. If you subsist in a small office with little revenue perhaps it is time to plant your lead leg and stop looking at the hurdles or creating hurdled but jumping over them.
© 2011. Drew Stevens PhD. All rights reserved. Hear me weekly on my renowned Podcast – Business Acceleration: http://www.stevensconsultinggroup.com/free-resources/podcasts