Drake’s Privacy Commitment & Accountability
At Drake International, Inc. (“Drake”), we are committed to protecting the privacy of personal information that you give to us. This document is to inform you of how we at Drake collect use and disclose your personal information for our recruitment, flexible staffing, and training/certification businesses. Drake is accountable for the personal information you have supplied to us. Our employees and Associates are informed about the importance of privacy and each is responsible for the personal information within his or her control. Our Privacy Officer is responsible for coordinating our compliance with both federal and provincial privacy laws.
Your Personal Information
Generally, personal information is any piece of information, factual or subjective, about an identifiable individual. Some examples of the types of personal information that may be held by Drake includes your name, address, date of birth, contact details, qualifications, education, work history, skills, aptitudes, resumé, salary/benefit information, information derived from background checks such as criminal and credit record, banking details, driver's license number and information about your hobbies and interests. It will also include information we derive about you through the administration of skills, personality, or aptitude testing
Purposes for Which We Collect Personal Information
Drake provides permanent recruitment services that respond to the needs of both employers (“Clients”) and applicants by helping to place the right person in the right position. Personal Information supplied by you is used by us to consider and evaluate your qualifications for either permanent or temporary employment with Drake or one of our Clients. For individuals who are hired by Drake, and for temporary staffing arrangements, we also collect information to provide payroll services. For those becoming permanent employees of Drake, we also collect information about you and your beneficiaries as required to enroll in our benefits programs. We collect only what we need for those purposes.
How We Collect Personal Information
Drake collects your personal information, for the identified purposes, in a number of ways, including:
- when you provide information by phone or in documents such as an application form or a resumé; this may be via email or delivery of hard copy of such information.
- through interviews with you in person, by videoconference, or by telephone;
- by contacting the individuals that you have nominated as your references (“Referees”);
- from Clients to whom services are supplied as part of our temporary staffing business;
- through the administration and assessment of the results of aptitude tests and the interpretation of the results of such tests.
- we may collect website visitors’ contact information (like their email address).
Personal Information We Collect from Third Parties
We collect personal information from other sources, such as: Google, Facebook, and other third-party services.
If you link or connect to Drake from a third-party service you direct the service to send us Personal Information such as your profile information as controlled by that service or as authorized by you via your privacy settings at that service.
Background Information. To the extent permitted by applicable laws, we may obtain, for example, reports of criminal records and other information about you and/or your background. We may use your information, including your full name and date of birth, to obtain such reports.
Referrals. If you are referred to Drake by another applicant, friend or co-worker, the person who referred you can submit personal information about you such as your email address or other contact information.
Other Sources. To the extent permitted by applicable law, we may receive additional information about you, such as references, demographic data, or information to help detect fraud and safety issues from third party service providers and/or partners and combine it with information we have about you. For example, we may receive background check results or fraud warnings from identity verification service providers for use in our fraud prevention and risk assessment efforts.
How We Use Your Personal Information
Drake’s employees and Associates (as defined below) will use personal information about you to assess your suitability for permanent or temporary positions with Drake or with its Clients.
We will disclose your personal information to Clients for the purposes of attempting to recruit you to specific positions that we feel you may be suited to, and/or for supplying your services to Clients as a temporary field staff worker. The personal information disclosed to Clients will be all the personal information required to make an informed decision.
We may disclose your personal information to the following parties outside of Drake:
- organizations that provide essential services to Drake such as organizations to whom certain business functions or processes may be outsourced; or to other temporary staffing companies, where we are working on a joint staffing project. We will endeavour to ensure that any such organizations will protect the personal information we supply to them in keeping with privacy laws;
- your referees in making enquiries;
- your financial institution and others relating to your remuneration and benefits;
- government bodies or law enforcement agencies as required/authorized by law;
- Drake’s related companies and any companies involved in a corporate or business reorganization by Drake;
- Associates of Drake (meaning separate legal entities who supply for Drake the same services as are provided by staffing consultants employed by Drake);
- organizations and government agencies that provide background checks, including credit, criminal and education background checks;
- any other person or organization not referred to above where you have given us specific consent to share your personal information with such person or organization
Personal information collected from applicants or website visitors may be used to:
- send you promotional messages, marketing, advertising, and other information based on your preferences and social media advertising through social media platforms,
- personalize, measure, and improve our advertising,
- administer referral programs or other promotional activities sponsored by Drake or its third-party partners,
- analyze characteristics and preferences to send you promotional messages, marketing, advertising, and other information that we think might be of interest to you, and
- invite you to other relevant opportunities.
Cookies are a standard for storing small pieces of data on a web client (i.e. the web browser on your computer). Any web server (including this one) may:
- store one or more cookies in your browser; or
- request your browser to transmit the data to the web server.
This website may store cookies on your web client in order to better serve you upon your subsequent visits to this website. By using cookies, web sites can track information about visitors’ usage of the site, provide customized content, or even the use of password protection. Note that some browsers can be configured to allow cookies to be accessed by servers other than the originating server. Please note that most web browsers can also be configured to notify the user when a cookie is received, allowing you to either accept or reject it. For further information about working with cookies, visit your web browser’s developer’s website.
Note that the servers listed above may also cause a cookie to be stored on your computer. If you are using a browser not listed above, please consult your documentation or the manufacturer.
Legal Basis for Collecting Personal Information
a) Consent: We seek and confirm your consent to use your personal information as set out above at the time we first collect your personal information. If you subsequently supply further personal information it is assumed the consent we originally received is applicable to personal information supplied at a later time, provided the purposes are the same as have been identified in this document or by a Drake representative. Consent may be expressed (in writing or verbally), or it may be implied, such as when you send us unsolicited personal information, in paper copy or electronically. Your consent can be withdrawn if you notify our Privacy Office in writing.
If you have received this form in hard copy, we will ask you to sign one copy signifying your consent. If you receive this via email, as a reply to the receipt of unsolicited personal information, your consent will be presumed and you do not need to return anything.
If you do not wish to have your personal information used for a particular purpose or you do not wish to receive mailings, you can email us to notify us of your wishes. Our practice is that if we wish to collect Personal Information via the internet about you (such as name, contact information or other registration information), Drake will:
- Expressly ask you for that Personal Information;
- Tell you how we intend to use that Personal Information if you choose to give it to us when we request for it. For instance, we may wish to use that Personal Information to personalize and tailor our information, services or products for you; to identify who we are communicating with; or, to inform you of further information relating to our services or products, or to this website;
- Not share your Personal Information with persons or entities unless in accordance with this Privacy Code;
b) Legitimate Business Purposes: Personal Data is also used for our legitimate business purposes as needed to manage day to day business needs including, but not limited to, financial account management, business planning and forecasting, security and fraud prevention, and compliance with legal and regulatory obligations.
c) Performance of a Contract: For individuals who are hired by Drake, and for temporary staffing arrangements, to perform our obligations under the contract we are about to enter or are about to enter into with you.
Drake stores information about visitors to our web site and users on servers located in the United States. By using our services, you consent to the storage of your information in Canada. If you are using the services from outside Canada or within the European Union, please know the information you submit will be transferred to and stored in servers in Canada or other countries. The data protection and other laws of Canada and/or other countries might not be as comprehensive as those in your country. By submitting your data and/or using our services, you acknowledge the transfer, storing, and processing of your information in and to Canada.
As described above, Drake also may subcontract the processing of your data to, or otherwise share your data with, service providers and others in countries other than your country of residence, including the United States, in accordance with applicable law. Such third parties may be engaged in, among other things, the provision of services to you, the processing of transactions and/or the provision of support services. By providing us with your information, you acknowledge any such transfer, storage, or use.
We will comply with the privacy and data collection laws of the jurisdiction of the individual from whom the information is being collected. Personal information of applicants located outside of Canada will be transferred to Drake and data processors in Canada or the United States and elsewhere in the world only to facilitate the purpose for which it was collected. Our computer operations are currently based in Canada. The internet is a global environment. By using this web site and sending information and personal information to us electronically, you consent to trans-border and international transmission of any data that you may choose to supply us to any country in the world, including countries without an adequate level of data protection. Information and personal information transmissions to this web site and emails sent to us may not be secure. Given the inherent operation and nature of the internet, all internet transmissions are done at the user's own risk.
If applicable, you may make a complaint to the data protection supervisory authority in the country where you are based. Alternatively, you may seek a remedy through local courts if you believe your rights have been breached.
You Can Access Your Personal Information
You have a right to access the personal information that we retain about you, subject to some exceptions provided by law, how we use it and how to whom it has been disclosed. If you would like to do so, please let us know. For security reasons, you will be required to put your request in writing. If you make more than three (3) requests per year, you may be charged a small administrative fee for searching for and providing access to your information. We will advise you of the fee at the time of your request. You should address any request for access to our Privacy Office.
At any time, you have the right to:
- Access—The right to be provided with a copy of the personal information we hold about you.
- Rectification—The right to correct any mistakes in your personal information.
- Deletion—The right to request deletion of your personal information.
- Restriction of Processing—The right to restrict the processing of your personal information.
- Data Portability—The right to have your personal information transferred to a third party in a machine-readable format.
- To Object—The right to object to how your personal data is used.
To request to limit the use and disclosure of your personal information, please submit a Data Subject Request Form. In certain situations, we may be required to disclose personal data in response to lawful requests by public authorities, including to meet national security or law enforcement requirements.
We will take appropriate measures to ensure that personal information you have supplied is stored securely, whether in electronic form or otherwise. Drake will have agreements in place with these third-party subcontractors and/or agents prior to the transfer of any personal information requiring that such subcontractors and/or agents protect the personal information in a manner that is consistent with EU GDPR. All subcontractors and/or agents will be instructed that they may only use the personal information for the purposes identified by Drake. In cases of onward transfer to third parties of personal information of EU individuals received, we are not responsible for the processing of personal information by any third party, other than those third parties acting as our subcontractors to process data on our behalf.
Unfortunately, no data transmission over the internet can be guaranteed as totally secure. Accordingly, although Drake strives to protect such information, Drake cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to us or from our online products or services and you do so at your own risk. Once we receive your transmission, we will take reasonable steps to preserve the security of this information in our own systems. If you have a login name and/or password for use in conjunction with this web site, you are entirely responsible for the maintenance of the confidentiality of that login name and/or password. Furthermore, you are entirely responsible for any and all activities that occur under your login name. You agree to immediately notify Drake of any unauthorized use of your login name and/or password or any other breach of security known to you.
We rely upon you to notify us of any changes in your personal information that you consider important, in order that we can keep your personal information up to date. Where we determine that your personal information is no longer required for any purpose we have identified to you, we will take reasonable steps to ensure that it is disposed of in a secure manner or rendered anonymous. Some personal information must be retained for specific periods to comply with various laws.
You have the right to complain to us if you feel we have collected, used, or disclosed your personal information in an improper way. You may do so by lodging a complaint in writing with our Privacy Office, and you will be entitled to a response within 30 days. If you feel further action is required to address your complaint, you may seek the involvement of the Privacy Commission in Ottawa.
How to Contact Us
We also will, upon request, make available specific information about our privacy policies, practices, and procedures. You can raise concerns and initiate the steps to gain access to your personal information by writing to our Privacy Office at:
Drake International Inc.
77 King St. West, Suite 4330
PO Box 266
Toronto, Ontario M5K 1H6