COVID-19 Support for Drake Fieldstaff Employees

A Field Staff Employee (FSE) is a Drake Employee who is employed as a ‘temp’ working for our clients.


Drake International and Huntel Global continue to monitor the impact of COVID-19 in this ever-changing landscape. Your health and safety is of the utmost importance.


If you have any questions, please feel free to call your nearest Drake branch 


How COVID-19 Spreads

COVID-19 spreads from an infected person to others through respiratory droplets and aerosols (smaller droplets) created when an infected person:

  • breathes
  • coughs
  • sneezes
  • sings
  • shouts
  • talks


COVID-19 can also spread by touching something that has the virus on it, then touching your mouth, nose, or eyes with unwashed hands. You can transmit COVID-19 before you start showing symptoms or without ever developing symptoms.


Prevention for individuals

While vaccines are having a significant impact on controlling the spread of COVID-19, the virus continues to circulate.


You are encouraged to follow all individual public health measures regardless of your vaccination status. Recommendations for some measures are expected to change over time in response to the current COVID-19 situation.


Public health advice varies widely across Canada due to local situations. It's important that you:

  • continue to follow the recommendations and restrictions of your local public health authority
  • assess the risks before going out and make informed decisions to keep yourself and others safe


At this time, it's unknown if COVID-19 will completely go away. Outbreaks or more seasonal patterns may begin to emerge, as seen with colds and flu.



Virus Exposure


What if I test positive for COVID-19?

Do not report to work if you are on an assignment or a project. Call your local Drake Branch immediately and let us know you have tested positive for COVID-19, and you will receive further guidance. Your recruitment consultant will communicate with the client directly.

What if I may have been exposed at my worksite to someone who tested positive for COVID-19?

Please contact your local Drake office immediately and tell your recruitment consultant that you believe you've been exposed at your worksite to someone who tested positive for COVID-19. You will be given further guidance.


Client Closures


What if I feel sick? What should I do?

Your health and well-being are of primary importance. If you are sick, contact your local Drake office or recruitment consultant and do not report to work.

If you are at work and feel sick, immediately inform your workplace supervisor then leave the workplace and go directly home then contact your local Drake office or recruitment consultant. Contact your local public health agency and follow their directions.

If you have been diagnosed with COVID-19 or may have been exposed to someone who has the virus, please stay at home until you have recovered. Keep in touch with your local Drake office. You may require a doctor’s clearance before you are able to return to work. Your recruitment consultant will inform the client about your availability and when you are able to return to work.

What if the client's worksite where I work closes?

Contact your local Drake office or recruitment consultant right away and let them know the client has decided to close their workplace for a period of time. Your recruitment consultant will work with the client to determine if your work can be done remotely and if you can do so. If remote working is not possible, your assignment or project may end; often this is at the client's discretion.

We will work with you to try and find another assignment or project, based on our clients’ work requirements and your availability. It is important to stay in contact with your local Drake office and inform them of your availability.

You may also qualify for Employment Insurance benefits.

Do any of your clients have work-from-home options?

Available jobs or placements will vary according to branch. Please speak with your local Drake office.


Pay and Benefits Access


Will I get paid if I am at home sick?

In most cases, you will need to apply for Employment Insurance Sickness Benefits. Visit the Government of Canada or contact Service Canada.

I have contracted COVID-19 and cannot return to work. How will my pay be affected?

You may be entitled to Employment Insurance Sickness Benefits during the period you are unable to work.

I believe I have contracted COVID-19 from my work assignment. Am I eligible for WSIB?

WSIB will be adjudicating all claims on a case-by-case basis. All other Workers Compensation Boards, except Alberta’s, have indicated the same approach will be taken. Drake has put a reporting procedure in place that is similar to regular incident reporting. Immediately report your workplace exposure or infection to your local Drake office or recruitment consultant.

How do I obtain a copy of my Record of Employment (ROE)?

To obtain a copy of your ROE please contact your local Drake branch or recruitment consultant. We will issue them in a timely manner in order for employees to apply for Employment Insurance benefits.

Has the Government waived the waiting period for EI?

Yes. The Federal Government announced that it will waive the mandatory one week waiting period for Employment Insurance Sickness Benefits for workers who are in quarantine or who have been directed to self-isolate as a result of COVID-19.

I don’t know to apply for things like Employment Insurance, Caregiver Benefits, rent subsidies, etc. Where do I find this information?

This guide (Google Doc) developed by a Dr. Jennifer Robson, Associate Professor of Political Management at Carleton University, may be of assistance to you.